Laerdal.com  •  MySimCenter.com

Welcome to Simulation User Network Sign in | Join | Help
  Learn more about SimStore

Re: Sim Centre Design (camera positions)

•  04-24-2012, 11:59 PM

Re: Sim Centre Design (camera positions)

Attachment: Picture 3.jpg

We have a setup like that.  We use ours mostly with first and second year medical students though sometimes with other groups.  It sounds like at least one of yours would be an operating theater and if so, I would think that the arrangment might be less flexible if you're going to have fixed equipment like surgical lights?  In our anatomy lab, we have cameras fixed on flexible arms similar to how the surgical lights are mounted.

I'd suggest -- like others have -- that you play with some relatively inexpensive cameras to get an idea of the views that you would want.  One thing you can do is get a laptop and get some decent quality USB cameras ("upper end" Logitechs like QuickCam Orbit AF -- which is a PTZ camera -- and Webcam C910).  Mount the cameras on strong magnetic bases.  With a base like the one pictured, it's easy to stick it anywhere on the cieling.  Get some very long USB cable extensions and plug the cameras into your laptop and place the laptop outside the room (they also make male/female USB adapters that go onto ethernet cable so you can make some very long USB cables this way, cheaply).  You can use this with the free Logitech software or with software like iSpy (http://www.ispyconnect.com/download.aspx) to get a rough idea of how the images and sound quality would come across from different angles, positions, lighting schemas, etc...  You might want to find a room similar in as many ways as you can to the size of room that you're planning on building and try your camera set up in that.  Move some beds or guerneys and some other props in and make some "actual" demonstration/teaching videos that you would want to have.  Watch the demonstration live from the laptop also to get an idea of what you would/wouldn't want in a camera setup.

Our rooms use two to three permanently mounted PTZ cameras.  12 of our rooms for use with standardized patients are set up as standard exam rooms.  Four of our rooms are set up to be modifiable to pretty much whatever configuration you would like.  They're usually set up as hospital rooms for two to three patients.  We generally use our simulators in these rooms and these rooms all have three cameras, as do two of our regular exam rooms (we have two exam rooms that are larger than the others).  In a small room, two PTZ cameras work great, in a larger (two to three person room) three works great for us.

At this date I'm certain that you're going to do this anyways, but if not,  I suggest that you go with an IP camera setup -- digital from beginning to end.  This is way way simpler than a system using analog cameras that convert to digital.  If you have a regular tech person, get them involved from the beginning.  I've been to at least a few places where they would have benefitted (sometimes in a very big way) from involving their in-house tech staff more.  The other day, I destroyed the water pump on my truck because I overtightened the belt because the belt was squeaking.  It turned out that the belt was squeaking because oil was dripping on it from a leaking valve cover gasket.  I can do some of my own automotive work, but if I have enough money, it's sometimes better to delegate some stuff to people who love what they do and do it every day.  I hope I'm not ranting too much, we just finished two days of OSCE's and Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification.

Jonathon Kerns MLIS
    Technology Manager
    Clinical Learning Center
    FSU College of Medicine
    Filed under:
View Complete Thread