Laerdal.com  •  MySimCenter.com

Welcome to Simulation User Network Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
  Learn more about SimStore

Smartphone app for 3G

Last post 02-16-2015, 6:06 PM by jimmydurant. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-29-2011, 10:26 AM 3680

Smartphone app for 3G

Have anyone else thougt it would be useful having an app on their smartphone (preferably Android devices) to control some of the functions on 3G/Essential ?

Configurable so that you could choose what to control yourself. 2 or 3 parameters maybe ? It could work as an addition to the instructor`s laptop, and would be a lot easier to carry along in a mobile situation. What about a patientmonitor on the phone ? The possibilities are numerous.

Are there anyone else that thinks this is a good idea ?

Arne

•  08-01-2011, 5:59 PM 3684 in reply to 3680

Re: Smartphone app for 3G

Although I love the idea of having an actual app, the next best thing we use is VNC. You can set up your Instructor PC as a VNC server, then use your android phone / tablet / iphone / ipad to control your Instructor PC.

http://www.realvnc.com/products/android/index.html

Brian Florek, BS, EMT-P
    Simulation Systems Engineer
    Center for Education in Medicine
    Feinberg School of Medicine
    Northwestern University
  •  08-03-2011, 8:44 AM 3687 in reply to 3684

I have tried teamviewer for android, but I think the "patient" would die before i could find the correct buttons to push... In theory it would work, but in practice not. An app for smartphone that would contain only a few (maybe choosable by configuration) functions could do. Maybe it could act as a patient monitor as well ? For an instructor to look at when the training is taking place outside a centre... The possibilities are many.

Arne

•  08-15-2011, 5:21 PM 3707 in reply to 3687

In theory, I think this would be possible using the SimMan 3G SDK (http://simulation.laerdal.com/forum/forums/thread/3169.aspx) if one was willing to invest the resources in learning or finding someone who knows .Net programming. I toyed with the idea but it's presently beyond my capabilities. My thought was that you would use the SDK to write a server that would run on a laptop or desktop and then an Android or iOS app that would communicate with that server. This would be necessary since, as far as I know, there is no way to directly use the SDK/.net on either Android or iOS.
  •  05-09-2013, 12:00 PM 4902 in reply to 3680

Many of us have our smartphones with us pretty much all the time. There are thousands of applications that do thousands of different things accessible at the push of a button. And a few of them can even get you just a little extra pocket change. And who couldn't use more of that in this economy?
  •  06-10-2013, 5:41 PM 4952 in reply to 4902

I think general use of an app on the smartphone is a long way off , esopecially after using the sim pads , the idea an functionality is great but there are limitations to what can be done. an thats a specific device, so too bring that as an app will take a little while longer. Fingers crossed tho, only concern is 3g can play havoc with interference to the wireless network with sims, how would you combat that if you are using your smartphones ??

•  02-16-2015, 6:06 PM 5672 in reply to 4952

Kind of an issue I was having issues with, thanks that really cleared things up for me.  I have other question,im just wondering how to tell if your data is using 3G, 4G, or LTE. I barely use data at all as I'm always connected to wifi but I'm just curious as to how I know what I'm getting if I were to use it when I'm in town and what not.

Thanks
View as RSS news feed in XML