Laerdal.com  •  MySimCenter.com

Welcome to Simulation User Network Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
  Learn more about SimStore

Hi-Fi Simulator on a Vent

Last post 09-12-2013, 9:24 PM by ScottWilson. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-19-2013, 1:29 AM 4968

Hi-Fi Simulator on a Vent

Has anyone had good results with 3G (or any other pt. simulator) on a ventilator?  There's some things 3G just isn't going to do (like trigger breaths) but he has no tidal volume with any air with any worthwhile PEEP.

Has anyone out there been working on Intensive Care / RT scenarios using PEEP?

Thanks,

James McNulty

Oregon Health Science University

James McNulty
    Simulation Coordinator
    Department of Emergency Medicine
    mcnultja@ohsu.edu

Oregon Health & Science University
    3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, CDW-EM
    Portland, Oregon 97239

•  06-19-2013, 10:15 AM 4970 in reply to 4968

Re: Hi-Fi Simulator on a Vent

The only manikin simulator I know of that will give you really realistic interaction with ventilators is the METI HPS, as that's primarily what it's designed to do. However it's 3-4 times the price of a 3G.
  •  06-19-2013, 6:39 PM 4972 in reply to 4970

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know anyone (or group or center) using METI HPS?

James McNulty

Oregon Health Science University

James McNulty
    Simulation Coordinator
    Department of Emergency Medicine
    mcnultja@ohsu.edu

Oregon Health & Science University
    3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, CDW-EM
    Portland, Oregon 97239

•  06-21-2013, 9:22 AM 4974 in reply to 4972

We use one. It's excellent for intensive care scenarios as you have really fine control over lung volumes and compliance so you can simulate conditions like ARDS and put the manikin onto a High Frequency Ocillating Ventilator. PEEP obviously isn't a problem either. However it's not in any way mobile - you're tethered to a particular room as it requires a full set of pipeline gasses and has a control unit the size of a filing cabinet. It's also (or at least our unit is) pretty high maintenance. I don't know how many they have in your part of the world but I'm sure they could tell you where your closest one is if you wanted to visit it and have a look.

The other option is to use something like this http://www.ingmarmed.com/PDF/US_UTMB.pdf which I believe some of the other users on here have posted about. I haven't tried it personally but it's a lot cheaper than an HPS I'm sure

•  09-12-2013, 9:24 PM 5129 in reply to 4972

We use METI HPS and since this is a Laerdal forum, you can contact me off list if you would like hear more at scott.wilson@carolinashealthcare.org.

Related to 3G and a ventilator, I've heard differing things. There is an alteration you can do with him but I've heard that it will void your warranty if you do so but conversely, I've heard that several Laerdal reps were the ones that did the modification so that is confusing. one such solution is discussed in the thread: "Increasing Mechanical Ventilation Fidelity of the Laerdal SimMan 3G." Brian Florek came up with a pretty good fix.

Another solution is as long as the tidal volume number will not affect your scenario, you can use all the correct settings on the ventilator but set the tidal volume to <400 mL and you will not have to worry about blowing his lungs up. 

View as RSS news feed in XML