Laerdal.com  •  MySimCenter.com

Welcome to Simulation User Network Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
  Learn more about SimStore

Problems with Defibrillator Training cables

Last post 09-16-2013, 1:22 PM by Martin J Clarke. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-14-2013, 3:47 AM 5080

Problems with Defibrillator Training cables

Hi there,

I was wondering if any regular simulation users have any solution to preventing the defibrillator training cables popping off when doing effective CPR on the manikins. It is incredibly distracting to the students when they have to keep re-charging the defibrillator because the lead placement has been lost.

I have tried replacing the studs with the extended defibrillator posts(lengths)  and we have also put the leads over the right shoulder with no success. I have been told after a time these trainng cables loosen around connection, however our cables had not been used that much until recently so it cant be an age issue. We are reluctant to purchase any more Laerdal training cables unless we can be assured they will stay on. I know over the last ten years this has been a continual problem and I am hoping someone else may have another option.

I have seen another brand of defib cables in Western Australia but I cannot track where these have come from. Can anyone help?

Kind regards Clare

Clare Scott
    Clinical Facilitator in Simulation
    Clinical Education and Research Unit
    Robina Hospital
  •  08-15-2013, 5:11 PM 5087 in reply to 5080

Re: Problems with Defibrillator Training cables

C Scott,

What model to you have (SimMan classic, Essential/3G)

Two options you can try, we have sewn the button type defib lead onto a set of adhesive/hands free defib pads (does two things, looks more realistic and the adhesive gives it a little more holding power.  Another option is velcro, sew some velcro onto the simman skin (sewing would be needed as opposed to glue due to the movement involved in CPR) and put some velcro on the lead again, removing some of the pressure from CPR. Just some thoughts, we have not had this specific issue with ours but that is what I would try first if it comes up.

-Dave 

David Cherolis EMT-P EMS-I
    Simulation Tech Wright State University
    937-395-8839
    david.cherolis@wright.edu
  •  09-04-2013, 4:19 PM 5105 in reply to 5080

• Carlos is not online. Last active: 04-23-2014, 5:04 PM Carl Read
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-01-2008
    • Southampton University Hospitals Trust
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 12

I am assured by our UK reps that MR Laerdal jr. who is currently working in the UK has come up with a new lead / stud combination that is much more robust. There is a rumour of a service exchange on all our stocks.. something I would welcome as it is so frustrating and dangerous that both products made by Laerdal do not fit together well. Perhaps someone from HQ would like to confirm??????

I belive the hospital at Portsmouth UK (QAH)  have been involved in field trials??

•  09-12-2013, 2:50 PM 5126 in reply to 5080

We have had the same problem recently. It does not matter if we are using new cables or old cables, new posts or old posts. It seems the problem is a combination of CPR causing the manikin's skin to move around, up and down, and causing the cable to pop off the post. The solution that Laerdal suggested, as you mentioned, was to use the extended length posts. This decreased the frequency of the problem but it does still occur and we cannot find a permanent solution.

We did utilize the snap/button approach for a while, using fasteners like you would find on a pair of jeans, drilled directly through the defib pads but they would eventually dry out the gel and sometimes arc so we opted to not continue with that route for safety reasons. With the exception of the arcing, that method did work fairly well.

The only other way I can think of is to use the large round disks and apply the defib pads directly to the manikin, which would be messy to clean up the gel leftover each time and expensive to get a new set of pads each simulation.

•  09-16-2013, 1:22 PM 5132 in reply to 5105

My name is Gerald Kraemer, global product manager for SimPad at Laerdal Medical and happy to comment from Head Office in Stavanger. I can confirm that we are at present working and testing solutions for the defib studs and cables/connectors, which are showing good results. When the new designed parts become available we will roll them out globally. Your local sales company will be able to provide you the new studs without any additional costs.

I hope this helps and clarifies.

Gerald Kraemer
    Senior Group Product Manager  – Emergency Care
    Laerdal Medical

View as RSS news feed in XML