Laerdal.com  •  MySimCenter.com

Welcome to Simulation User Network Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
  Learn more about SimStore

Req: SimMan serial data protocol for simulated physiological data sent from linkbox to laptop 'monitor'

Last post 05-22-2015, 12:11 PM by steve tipper. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-16-2015, 12:24 PM 5716

Req: SimMan serial data protocol for simulated physiological data sent from linkbox to laptop 'monitor'

Dear all

This is my first posting on the Simulation User Network forum, and I'm hoping that you'll be able to help me with a very specific technical request to help me with a university research project.

We have several old SimMan Classic and new SimMan 3G Essential manikins with supporting software and hardware.

The simulated physiological parameters are sent from the SimMan and linkbox to the laptop which is running the simulated monitor software via an RS232 serial cable for SimMan Classic; and via a RS485 Data Cable with RJ45 terminations for the SimMan 3G.
    I need to know how to interpret this data stream for my research.

I have been able to learn a little more about the data format from the Laerdal Technical Manuals, from which I believe that the simulated physiological parameters are sent using the serial protocol: 19200 Baud / 8 bit / No Parity / 1 stop bit

However I do not understand how to interpret the packets of 50 or so bytes of data sent by the link box, and how to convert them into the corresponding physiological parameters which are displayed on the laptop (simulated monitor) - i.e. heart rate, BP, SpO2 etc...

Laerdal have kindly given me a copy of the Laerdal SDK to explore the code for this purpose, but I have been unable to work out the protocol from this.

I would be very grateful for any help, documentation, or links that you could give me which would provide this information.

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

Dr. David Williams
    Consultant Anaesthetist, Welsh Centre for Burns, ABMU NHS Trust, Swansea, UK /
    Hon. Assoc. Prof. and Lead for Simulation Training, College of Medicine, Swansea University, UK

•  04-30-2015, 4:02 PM 5726 in reply to 5716

Re: Req: SimMan serial data protocol for simulated physiological data sent from linkbox to laptop 'monitor'

I'm not sure about the 3G but with the SimMan classic the physiological data is generated by the software on the laptop rather than the link box or manikin. You can run the software and patient monitor quite happily without a manikin or link box connected. The data coming back to the laptop is providing the software with information about how the candidates are interacting with the manikin. Sensors in the manikin can detect when candidates are checking a pulse, performing chest compressions, or ventilating the lungs. You will then see that interaction appear on the interface and in the event log, this is probably what is in the packets you are talking about.
  •  05-21-2015, 8:22 PM 5744 in reply to 5726

Re: Req: SimMan serial data protocol for simulated physiological data sent from linkbox to laptop 'monitor'

Many thanks Steve

Apologies for the delay in my response to your post.

If I understand you correctly, in the SimMan Classic, the physiological data is sent out of the laptop via the serial port to the linkbox and monitor; and the data that I was reading from the serial port on the back of the linkbox labelled "Monitor" was not relevant to my needs.

Do you have any information/links regarding the format of the simulated physiological data sent from the laptop, and how I can convert it into heart rate, BP, SpO2 etc. to  use in my research study?

The only documentation that I have gives the baud rate and byte format of the serial data, but does not explain how the individual physiological parameters are represented by the data stream.

Many thanks in anticipation

David

•  05-22-2015, 12:11 PM 5745 in reply to 5744

That I don't know, sorry. I would have thought Laerdals IT guys are probably your best bet.
View as RSS news feed in XML